MindGenius provides the ability to export a Map to MS Word.
This function is particularly useful when preparing a document, article, briefing, report or assignment.
This “How To” Guide outlines how you can set up and use the Export to MS Word function…
Where will I find this export function?
The export to MS Word function is available via the “Microsoft Office” menu on the Export Ribbon:
- Switch to the Export Ribbon
- Click on the Microsoft Word button
- Enter a File Name and location to save the document
- Set Export Options (see below)
- Click OK
An alternative way would be to use the File / Export option on the Application Drop-Down Menu
The Basic “Rules” for Exporting a Map…
- The “Core” Branch will become the title of the document
- 1st-Level Branches will become “Heading 1” Paragraph Headings
- 2nd- Level Branches will become “Heading 2” Sub-paragraph Headings…and so on
- Notes (input into the Notes Editor pane) will become Text against that particular Paragraph
The following options are available on export (tick to select):
- Launch MS Word on completion – to launch the document in MS Word once the export has completed
- Use a Word Template – if selected, Heading styles in the selected MS Word Template will be applied to the Map
- Respect MindGenius Font Styles – Map Styles and customised Branch Styles in the Map will be retained
- Branches below Level “xyz” use in normal text – instead of becoming Paragraph Headings, the Branches in the levels you select will appear as normal text
- Insert an Image – an image of the Map will be inserted into the MS Word document. It will be split at Page Breaks if used and may also be split at each Level 1 Branch (which makes the image size more manageable)
- Put each Image on its own Page – if selected, a Page Break will be inserted at each Image. The Page Orientation used may also be specified for these Image Pages
- Export Range – Current View or Entire Map – to export the whole Map, select “Entire Map”; to limit the Map to the Current View (respect Focus, filters, etc) select “Export Current Map”. It is also possible to choose whether to respect a Branch’s collapsed state; if “Expand Branches” is selected, then a collapsed Branch’s child/sub-branches will be exported
- Only export Branches with Notes – to omit Branches with no Note Text
- Omit Branches with no Sub-branches – to omit Branches with no children, i.e. sub-branches
- Property Options - select any additional Branch Properties to be exported. This information will appear next to the Branch in the export
Tip for best results: The default settings will give good results on exporting a Map to MS Word.